Monday, April 19, 2010

Shopping Experience, Show & Tell (Class Activity)


A little less than a month ago I was on a search to find what would be my new cellular phone. Previously I had owned Sprint's Rumor LG, which was a pretty decent phone with a QWERTY Keyboard, internet access, and a bunch of neat features but I wanted more out of my phone. I realized that although what I owned was a sufficient and effective phone I wanted something more advanced, especially with all that I had been seeing in the new smart-phone crazed market where cells phones not only serve as a way to complete a two-way talk but function as mini computers and much more. Cell phones like Apple's Iphone, the Blackberry, and the Palm Pre made me really excited that I had an upgrade coming up and that I could get a cool new phone for more than half the price. As I searched for my new and exciting phone I looked for three things: that it had a full QWERTY keyboard, since I am texting feen, a touch screen display, and that it came equipped with numerous applications just like what I saw in the commercials on TV for other products.

I knew off the bat that I did not want a Blackberry or an Iphone just because it is what everyone owns. I refused to conform and purchase the technological goods that have been sweeping the nation and decided that I needed to do some research of phones. I ended up finding a bit of information off the Sprint website and liked the Samsung Moment, a Google smart-phone; I then proceeded to go to samsung.com where the display of the phone caught my attention. I was intrigued by the visual images of the phone, its design, and overall structure. The site further provided me with a virtual showing on how to use the phone and everything it was capable of doing. I noticed on the side of the website it states "Experience the Moment. Simplicity, Responsiveness, and Speed", all of which were characteristics I was looking at for my new phone. The website in many ways told a story about the phone using visual images and text to narrate the positives of the phone and helped persuade me to buy it. I decided that I needed to see the product(s) up close in person to decide whether I liked the overall functioning of the phone(s) I liked and the new and updated styles available.

Upon walking into the Sprint store, which was fairly empty, a sales representative immediately approached me asking if I needed any help. He was polite, well-spoken, and seemed interested in what I had to say. He asked me what I was interested in and I clearly stated that I wanted a phone with a high quality camera, a keyboard, and internet access. Immediately he laughed and said I was a lot like he because I was more concerned with all of the features my new phone than anything else. Right off the bat he suggested a selection of Blackberry phones to me, which I completely dismissed and told him that I was looking for a similar functioning phone without it actually being a Blackberry. After giving me an awkward look as to why I would ever say "no" to a blackberry he proceeded to show me three cell phones, which all seemed to be phones that appealed to me: one was the new version Rumor LG, the HTC Hero, and the Samsung Moment. Immediately the Moment caught my attention and I proceeded to inspect it. Granted, out of the entire phone selection he showed me this was the priciest (which made me skeptical about purchasing) but it's the one that caught my attention the most and originally had my eyes set on. He went on to point out that like many people who purchase this phone I must text way too much and must be into taking pictures of just about everything and anything, both were statements which described me as well. The sales representative connected with me on a personal level because as I stated what I wanted from my phone he realized that those same attributes described me as a person and helped him narrow down the selection of phones he showed me.

The Samsung Moment phone caught my attention because it was a smart phone/android that was able to achieve way more than my old phone ever could. When applying the Neo-Aristotelian Approach to this product I believe that this cell phone was invented to compete with other phones such as the BlackBerry and Iphone, which seem to have unlimited applications and functions. It's message was clear; Google introduced this new phone as a way to persuade the market to invest in a phone that was able to do just as much as the other two without as much of the publicity and hype; it introduced a new competitor to the market. The overall organization and arrangement of the phone appealed to me as it is has a large display with touch screen capabilities, a slide-out keyboard, a touch pad, and a 3megapixel camera that can also record videos. The Samsung Moment further comes with a WiFi abilities, a memory card, and audio jack, a bunch of applications, and many more features that appeal to to people much like myself who want everything to be in the palm of my hand. The sales representative helped push me to further make my purchase as he presented the many capabilities of the phone to me and showed me how easy it was to work. He was well versed and had a great understanding of the product and how to sell it to me. We tested it out by taking pictures, recording videos, going online, downloading applications such as Google map, going on Facebook, and much more. The sales representative was able to clearly describe the positive aspects of the phone, present them to me, and succeed in delivering the product to me, which made me want to buy the phone more than I did before.

The in-store presentation was much more valuable than anything else; it further embedded in my memory how awesome this phone was and made me link Google's effectiveness with the end result of my phone. The details, features, and overall presentation of the cell phone originally caught my attention online but after having the sales representative show it to me in person I was almost instantly sold. At the moment, this cell phone has become a product used as a part of my everyday routine. I use my phone for just about everything; it serves as my alarm clock, calendar, e-mail, camera, IM tool, map for directions, and allows me to connect with others through texts and phone calls and much more. I also believe that its connection to Google played a large role in why I liked the phone so much because I felt like it was something I could rely on and be proud to walk around with.

No comments:

Post a Comment